Friday, January 23, 2009

starting off

Well I made to France safely and everything is wonderful. After we split in Columbus I had a porter at the CBC in the airport and started reading my new book. The first flight to Philadelphia was quick. I sat beside a young woman from Wales who had just gotten engaged the day before. I think she had a lot on her mind because we had a pretty deep conversation about life. It was interesting. Then I hung around the gate for Paris for about 4 hours and had some dinner before we took off. On that flight I sat next to another young woman only a couple years older then me. I asked her why she was going to Paris to which she replied, "Becauz I leev there". She was french! So we talked for a while, me in French and her in English, before watching the Mummy 3 which was not very good at all and then attempting to sleep. I didn't much, but I did like waking up a few hours before landing to watch the sky outside change from darkness with a small sliver of the moon floating above the wing to a bright day above the clouds. As soon as we went trhough the clouds though it was raining, "comme d'habitude" said Caroline, my french friend (as usual). After arriving in Paris, Caroline helped me through the airport while teaching me some french slang. She waited for me to get my bags and then saw me off to the RER to the city, but not before showing me how to do the bisous, which is how the french say hello and goodbye -- like kissing the air on either side of another person's cheek.

So I rode the RER to the gare du nord trying my best not to look like a tourist. I think it was a success -- and I've been getting better apparently because today an american girl with her dad asked me in french to take a picture of them in front of the eiffel tower -- Ha! I had them fooled. Its not too hard. I think the secret is to not smile much and walk around like you have a purpose. It helps to not pay attention to the walk signals at street corners too. So I was on the Metro doing my best french impersonation and I emerged in the middle of a busy intersection with horns honking and cars whipping around in all directions paying no attention to the lines on the road. It was raining. It was cloudy. The air here smells kind of dirty. There is dog poop left on the sidewalks. I'm in heaven. This is like a shorter version of New York city. There are people all over the place.

I walked around the round-about and down the narrow rue Biot to number 18 where I rang the buzzer. I entered and a nice, proper man, probably late 50s came down the stairs to meet me. Jacques then showed me around his spectacular, old apartment. Both Stephen and I are on the second floor, in separate rooms, by ourselves. I have a neat, simple room with a bed that is exactly 6 feet long. I squeeze perfectly between the head board and foot board. After talking a little with Jacques he left for work (he does most of the talking while I say oui and d'accord (ok)). I stayed there for a little while and finished my delicious lunch consisting of jambon (ham) on a baguette with a little spicy mustard, some cheese (brie?), a little rice, a banana, and some beaujolais. Very good. I unpacked a few things and set out for the streets. So far everytime I've left the apartment I've just tried to head in a direction towards something. Its not very efficient at all because I've been turned around often, but eventually I'll see the top of the eiffel tower or of sacre-coeur and turn in that direction. Thats happened at least three times so far that I'll think I'm headed in one direction and then I'll see a monument from a far and go that way.

Yesterday I walked through the hilly cobbled roads of Montmartre to the sacre-coeur. From the steps of the basilica you can see most of the rooftops of Paris. Apparently I was wrong in walking down the front steps though because I was bombarded by guys selling souvenirs who had a keen sense of who was French and not interested and who was American. I put on my best french and said "non merci" and kept walking. I had to continue to resist even more perserverant people as I found myself walking down the Boulevard Clichy, Paris's red-light district. At nearly every sex shop someone was standing outside and they had to have seen me tell the person no at the shop right next to their's, but they were optimistic and literally tried to pull me in anyway. I evaded their clutches and took a little break Chez Jacques. I had to call IES to let them know that I had arrived so I looked around the apartment for a phone, but couldn't find it. So I bought one.

I did another wandering trip down a few streets finding an area with instrument makers carving basses and forming tubas too. I'll have to go in there to check that out later. The first phone shop I found I went into and purchases a phone. I was impressed with myself all day yesterday because I spoke a lot of French and it was understood.

I took a power nap while listening to music and then to avoid falling asleep more I took a stroll down to the end of rue Biot, past L'Europeen, a concert theater, and a few other restaurants to Le Petit Poucet Cafe. I order a cafe express which was very good and I didn't mind paying 2 euros 80 cents for it because I had all the time I wanted to sit there on the street corner beneath the heater and people watch and read more of my book. I'll probably head back later this afternoon. I also found out that Picasso frequented le Petit Poucet Cafe during his younger years while he lived in Paris.

I returned to the apartment to find Jacque there resting and we talked for a while. His son Clemens joined us and we had a bottle of Champagne and some hors d'ouvres. His son is close to my age, he's 25 I think, but he lives elsewhere in Paris. We ate out last night and I had my first french meal. Indian food probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm going with the flow. We sat and ate and talked some more. By the way its about 9:30 by this time. We finish up and go back to Jacque's and then I sleep.

I woke up around 330 for a few hours and had time to read and think though how to say things in French. I fell asleep sometime and then Jacques woke me up about 830. This morning we had a typical french breakfast: une baguette, du buerre, et le thé. Apparently they have two breakfasts usually. One at home and then one with friends at a bar or a cafe.

I wandered around a lot today. I saw la Défense, l'Arc de Triomphe, and the Tour d'Eiffel. Then I eventually ended up at IES for my orientation. They're kicking me out now so I'll talk with you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment