Monday, April 27, 2009

April in Paris



Listen to this while reading (click here)

It's pretty much true. April in Paris is wonderful. The trees are blooming. The sun is shining. The birds are singing. French people are still wearing their winter coats. For many here there are only two seasons: winter and summer.

Life has been good here and with only one month to go I'm satisfied. I'll be ready to get on the flight back to the US--not running on to the plane, or regretting leaving France, but content to head home. It's been fulfilling.

In other news I returned from Spring break a week or so ago. It's too far back to go into many details, but Nice, Venice, Florence, and Riomaggiore in the Cinque Terre were all good towns. Good food, good sights, just tried to sink in a little bit and relax if possible. I was able to get on the beack a couple times -- it was spring break after all. Once in front of the blue waters on the Cote d'Azur and another time on Lido island in Venice. And again in Montorossa if you count that; it was freezing and cloudy out. Overall it will probably go down as the most unique spring break ever for me.

Once back in Paris Jacques made a goulash for Stephen and I. Since then I've been walking around and trying to get in some secondary, less touristy and more typically parisian, activities. Yesterday I inhaled a felafel from L'As du Felafel. Its a delectable fried chickpea and veggie pita basically. Walked to a few different parks. And just took in the city.

A few weeks ago while riding the bus home on a Thursday around dusk I was in a state of enchantment. I slunk down into my chair and viewed the film passing by the windows. People were everywhere. Neon lights alluminated the streets as the sky turned from orange to violet while the sun sunk beneath the buildings. Its just an incredible experience for me to be in a city like this. I mean come on it's Paris. Every restaurant I passed was filled with animated couples convivializing at candle-lit tables. The side walks ebbed and flowed with crowds of individuals. People walking along listening to music. Couples strolling talking about philosophy and ideas. Men and women kissing the way french people kiss: the man engulfing the woman's face while they both take a pause from anything going on in the environment around them. French people are accustomed to this; Traffic immediately takes a detour and forms a lane around the island. Its totally normal. I arrive back at Place de Clichy, this busy outpost on the northwest side of the city, and cruise down rue Biot to Jacque's apartment on high. I get back and the windows are open letting in the cool breeze. There's a scent of tree flowers and jasmine in the air and maybe even some of Jacques great cooking. When he's in the kitchen there's always a sizzling sound accompanying him. He snaps to the radio - FranceInter - and cooks a fantastic meal as this melange of everything around me comes together culminating into just one fine evening here. Yes, April is Paris is a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment